Inspired by my friend Amanda, who received the Blu-ray Boxset recently and decided to have a Back to the Future movie night, I have decided that I have to blog this.
Did Inspector Gadget drive a Delorean?
What? Where did this come from? Well, I happened to be watching the French version of the Inspector Gadget cartoon opening theme when it hit me.
If your impatient or you just don't like the sound of the French ruining a nostalgic show intro, go ahead and skip to the 40 second mark. Go ahead. I'll wait.
No, I won't. Here:
Two great pictures of the Gadget-mobile as a wonderful police car. Looks like a Delorean right?
No so according to a thread started here. There are several other cars that it could be or even a completely made up car. (Although, if you really think cartoon animators are as original as they appear to be, maybe you shouldn't be reading this.) Commentors listed several possibilities, but I've narrowed it down to two others besides the Delorean.
1974 Bricklin SV1 (Has gullwing doors.)
Mitsubishi Starion






Hi. I know this was posted quite a while ago, but I found that the Gadget Mobile looks suspiciously even more like the late 70's and early 80's Lotus Esprit S2's and S3's. Not only is it a very similar shape, but the rear windshield of the car has louvers on the back (not to mention its lack of large rear side windows that both the Delo and the Bricklin have, but the Gadget Mobile is missing). If you also look at some of these Esprits, you'll see that even the pinstriping is almost identical to the Gadget Mobile. Also, if you look at the Esprit's gas cap, you'll notice that it's located in almost the exact same spot as the little red circular "G" emblem on the back of the Gadget Mobile. Finally, the last similarity is found in the large space between the doors and the rear fenders. That space on the Esprits are large enough to house the "Police" sticker that lies on the Gadget Mobile in the same area.
ReplyDeleteWow! Thanks for the comment! This has still been bugging me in the back of my mind. Great find!
ReplyDelete