Chapters

Friday, November 19, 2010

Take a Breath

Good morning! Finally. The last day of class before Thanksgiving break. 

I survived American Lit. Dr. O'Conner is really passionate about Huck Finn. I love the story but I just wish I had more time to read it! I'm definitely going to go back through the book for my comparative essay and highlight more important passages. I started off each reading session with the SparkNotes. It made me feel better about the plot. Then it was mostly sit down and read for all the important parts. I liked knowing what was coming next in each section because it was so easy to get lost and confused in some of dialogue. Twain's rendering of all the different dialects is really amazing. If you want brownie points with Dr. O'Conner, speak up during the Huck Finn discussions! It's not so hard. I was really happy when some of the jocks spoke up about their observations.

Methods in Secondary English. Christin is doing a mini-lesson on Thinking and Graphics. Lucky her. Doing mini-lessons is so fun, especially when you have to build a lesson around something as interesting as incorporating graphics. If I were doing the lesson I would design something around an advertisement or movie poster. Helping students interpret all the media advertising that surrounds them is really important. There are a lot of ways to incorporate graphics into a classroom. Whether you're thinking using graphics, thinking about graphics, or displaying your thoughts using graphics, our world is so much more visual now than it was 20 years ago. It really teaches them something about their perceptions.

Adam Miller had his senior recital tonight! It was beautiful. Millikin has some of the most talented people I will ever have the pleasure to meet. If you know Adam, but didn't get a chance to go, you should still tell him congratulations. :)

More literary scraps from my hard drive coming soon!

1 comment: